Your life story: it’s one of the most important assets you have. It’s your identity, what makes you, you. What’s more, it’s your family’s story that helps shape your personal life story. Do you have fond memories of hearing stories about your family history shared with you by grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles? Have those stories and collective wisdom helped shape who you are today? We all want to be able to play a part in keeping our family story and our personal story alive and we do this by sharing our stories with the next generation. But, none of this would be possible if we do not maintain a healthy brain as we age.
As we age, we need to keep our memories and our minds sharp so that we can preserve our stories and share them. One important thing you can do is maximize the health of your brain and strengthen your memory, in order to share your life story, keeping it alive. Eating a well-balanced diet, getting exercise, getting plenty of sleep, and keeping your brain mentally stimulated by engaging in specific activities such as playing brain training games will all have a positive impact on your memory and the overall health of your brain.
Here are some of our other favorite ideas for preserving and sharing your family story:
- Begin a family newsletter or a family blog so that you can stay better connected with family members near and far.
- Start a scrapbook or photo album about your family.
- Put together a family cookbook.
- Research your family history (there are a myriad of free and paid online genealogy resources).
- Keep a journal and encourage your family members to do the same!
- Organize a family reunion.
- Challenge your brain by playing Fit Brains so that you can stimulate your memory and share your story!
Take some time this month to connect with family members, reflect on your story, and take some steps to focus on your brain health, especially focusing on training your brain for a stronger memory.
It’s National Family Stories Month. What are your favorite ways to preserve and share your family’s story? Share with us and other readers in the comments section!
Be sure to follow our blog for more lifestyle & health tips. And, you can always challenge your brain when you play Fit Brains fun brain games!
Fit Brains. “Brain Training Success”.