For everything the human brain has accomplished, it’s a little ironic that our brains don’t fully understand how they, themselves, actually work. Dr. Paul Nussbaum(FitBrains CSO) is getting closer to understanding, and his new book, “Your Brain Health Lifestyle,” is all about how to make the most of your brain. Click here for the video of Dr. Nussbaum talking about brain health on Twin Cities Live
- Antioxidants clean up harmful free radicals – free radicals lead to decline in cell function
- Get antioxidants from beta-carotenes, vitamins A, C, E, and mineral selenium
- Physical activity increases blood flow to the brain – try to take 10,000 steps daily!
- Obesity can lead to brain function decline later in life
- Increased blood flow to the brain areas releases endorphins
- 25% of blood generated by each heartbeat goes to the brain!
- Read and write daily – try things that are novel and complex
- Developing a good language system is linked to a decreased risk of Alzheimer’s
- Do puzzles and games that are “novel and complex” – playing Scrabble every single day won’t do it, so change it up!
- Try writing with your non-dominant hand