A healthy, vegan, gluten-free dessert that’s jam packed with brain nutrients…and is delicious? It exists! Let us present you the Blueberry Banana Tart recipe!
How the ingredients from this recipe will improve your brain health:
- Blueberries: Protect the brain from oxidative stress, reduce the effects of age-related brain diseases, improves learning capacity and motor skills, boost memory & concentration, stimulate the flow of blood & oxygen to the brain. Super brain food!
- Bananas: Provide energy & electrolytes for the brain, improve cognitive function, protect the brain from oxidative damage, and are a great mood booster & balancer.
- Almonds: Help prevent age-related cognitive decline, improve memory & learning, increase attention & awareness.
- Cinnamon: Boosts the activity of the brain, removes nervous tension & memory loss, decreases risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Flaxseed: Rich in brain-healthy fats, build and protect neurons, regulate the environment of the brain, improve cognitive function.
Blueberry Banana Tart
Recipe from Roxana’s Home Baking
Serves: One 11-inch round pan
What you Need:
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter or butter substitute
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal (grounded up flaxseed)
- 3 tbsp water
- 10-12 oz fresh blueberries
- 2 small bananas
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
Putting it all Together:
- Mix the flaxseed meal with water in a bowl. Set it aside and wait for it to gel up.
- Ground the almonds in a food processor then add flour, cinnamon, salt, sugar and butter then pulse for a few more seconds.
- Add the flaxseed meal mixture and pulse until everything comes together in a dough-like mixture.
- Wrap the dough mixture in plastic foil and place it in the fridge for about half an hour.
- When it is chilled, grease your pan and roll the dough out into the pan as the crust.
- Cover the pan with plastic foil and chill in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Take the pan out and place the blueberries and slices of bananas on top of the crust and sprinkle the whole thing with a little raw sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then let it cool before slicing.
Leave a comment below & let us know how the recipe worked out for you & suggest your own variation! Check out the Fit Brains‘ collection of recipes, we add new brain healthy recipes every week so visit often!