Summer is here in a big way splashing the heat and humidity upon us. This is a great time of the year to get outdoors and is far better than shoveling a foot of snow off the driveway. Being able to move outdoors is a great opportunity to expand our list of activities and to increase quality time with our brain health lifestyle ®.
Consider the following 20 activities as part of your daily routine:
- Take a daily walk and use Arookoo (www.arookoo.com) or a pedometer count your steps.
- Go swimming, as it is good aerobic exercise and will cool your body.
- Get the bike out and ride around the block a few times.
- Play some sports with the kids.
- Cook some fish and chicken on the grill.
- Enjoy a cool salad on the deck.
- Enjoy a glass of red wine.
- Read the book you have been holding.
- Kids get started on your summer reading.
- Go to a sporting event as a family.
- Go to the zoo as a family.
- Go to a theme park or water park.
- Enjoy a vacation together.
- Increase your hours of sleep.
- Get involved in a hot yoga class.
- Pray daily.
- Attend a formal place of worship with the family.
- Take a walk in the woods or on the beach.
- Plant your garden and clean the yard.
- Drink plenty of water.
Consider this a reasonably good start to a brain healthy summer! Take it one step at a time and your body and brain will thank you.